Wednesday, June 13, 2012

June 13th

Hi Everyone,

Well, I have some good news, Dad’s ear is doing much, much better.  Dr Rose looked at it today and said most of the swelling is gone, there is just one area that was swollen, and she suspects was the cause of the whole problem.  She did break the swollen mass so it would drain.  It is painful for Dad right now, but hopefully by morning most of the pain will be gone.  Since Dad still has some infection she wanted to keep Dad on the antibiotics one more week, but we feel we might be able to discontinue the injections in about 10 days or so.  I did ask when Dad would be able to resume wearing a hearing aid in the left ear and she felt he would be able to when he completed the antibiotics.

I asked about taking another culture to ensure we are fighting the right fight and she did not feel it was necessary, nor to include any oral antibiotics.  She wanted to stay on the course of action that appears now to be working.

So as it stands right now, he will probably be on antibiotics for another 7 days, which would take him through Friday, June 22nd.  The nurse that put in the PICC line said they typically like to leave it in a couple of weeks after they have completed all antibiotics just in case it is needed.  If that is what Dr Rose wants, that would mean he would have the PICC line in until early July, but I did not ask her that today, so it might be good if Catie can ask at his next visit next Wednesday @ 3:00, assuming all goes as planned.

Dad’s pain level this morning was a zero, the first time in a long time he was pain free.  By lunch though, he said his ear felt a little swollen and that his pain level was a 0.5.

On a side note, Dad is feeling better and better.  We went for a walk this morning and then took a shower/nap while I went for a bike ride.  When I got back he said he was going to put his feet up while I took my shower and when I came looking for him I found him in the living room with his feet up on a chair and lying on the carpet doing exercises.  He has a strong will to get back a little of what he lost in energy and stamina.  I asked him if he wants to go to Grant’s game this weekend with Tom and Mary and he said yes without hesitation.  He also wanted to go to Sirs on Monday and I am working with John to see if we can make it happen.  He changed his mind when we started talking about how he was going to get there and doesn’t want to inconvenience anyone.

He is a joy to be around, is joking around a lot and eager to do things, all great signs, but he will need help until we get him off the PICC line and antibiotics, in my opinion.

That is about it for now, he is looking forward to seeing Catie and Lee next week and having dinner with John and Ranae tomorrow night.



I am including the last two weeks lab results that I got from the Home Health Care Nurse for your records.



Love to all,



Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts?