Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Heart Hospital Wednesday Morning

Dad was asleep when I arrived.  He seemed comfortable.  His room does not have a bathroom and they had a portable one in the room.  He woke up shortly thereafter and asked for his hearing aid.  There was no battery in it and, after a quick search of the floor, we were back in business.

Dad is in good spirits.  I think the antibiotics are keeping the infection at bay.  I could hear the case worker speaking at the nurses' desk and she came in and got a little history.  It appears we should not have been so up front with them about the purpose of our stay being to get Dad into skilled nursing.  We weren't told any of this before we made this decision.  They have their own procedures and tests they want to do on Dad.  We did not think that would happen.  Most of the tests are just the usual blood, x-ray, and ct variety.

Anyway, the case worker came in and told me that Dad would be on antibiotics for 6-8 weeks and asked about his home health care.  She then told me that Dad would need skilled nursing and said we had a choice of where to take Dad.  I mentioned we had made arrangements for Rosewood and signed a paper to that effect.  The case worker then called over to Rosewood.  This is how it works, I guess.

Dr. Amin came in and said he was changing the antibiotic order.  He wanted to add Zyvoxx(?).  When I told him we were working with Dr. Hedari, he said he was changing the order because he wanted to confer with Dr. Kitt over at Memorial, but she was out of town.  I explained we had been seeing Hedari for a couple of weeks and if he could confer with him before adding the Zyvoxx I would appreciate.  He said he would.

Dad ate all his breakfast.  He was in good spirits.  I think having a goal and working toward it keeps him somewhat occupied.  That and feeling a little better.  It is a bit difficult seeing him so weak.  One of the side effects of the Zosyn is muscle weakness.  I'm hoping the transition to Rosewood will be smooth and once there he can get some physical therapy.  He was also due for an EPO shot today.  Nurse Matt was going to call over to Dr. Ngyun to get the dosage.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts?