Friday, September 7, 2012

9/6/2012 Additional Comments

Thanks John, your detailed update covered yesterday's Dr. Appointment perfectly.  I think you captured his comments and concerns.  I was pleased that he called Dr Nguyen while we were there, we also went and fetched the results of the culture from the lab while we were there. 

I gave the lab order to Nurse Maribeth at Rosewood, I also informed her of Dad's two appointments next week, she assured me they would draw blood on Monday and get the Tuesday @ 11am and Thursday @ 2:45pm on the calendar.

When Dad and I arrived back at Rosewood, when we exited the car, Dad's left arm was resting on the arm rest of this car.  When he lifted his arm, part of his skin tore and he started bleeding.  I was able to control the blood and get him inside where they immediately got him cleaned up and bandage.  Dad said it didn't hurt.  The nurse said skin tears are very common, they often occur when helping seniors in and out of bed.  They said they would write up an incident report.  I got his car all cleaned up.  If you use his car, we should but a towel on the console, I think he'll do better than leather.

Dad refused to allow me to use a wheel chair to take him to the appt, even though Rosewood urged us both to NOT use the walker.  After dinner he said he was worn out and asked me to tuck him in bed and shut the drapes.  In hindsight, it might have been a little too much.  He is having trouble getting in and out of bed now.  He needs help sitting up and needs help lifting his legs on the bed.

He has had diarrhea since he has arrived at Rosewood.  They gave him some Imodium AD last night after dinner.  I asked the nurse to write in his chart for the staff to ask him after each meal if he wants for Imodium AD, since it's listed, "As directed."

His mood and resilience is inspiring beyond words.  He truly wants better hearing aids and to be able to walk again without a walker. He talks about moving to the big house (assisted living) and once again taking care of himself.   He's told me over and over again that Rosewood is, "not so bad".  I think he likes being around people.

As you would expect, all of the staff love dad, especially the physical therapist who are giving dad training on the new walker.  They said its better for him to use the grey walker now, however they will continue to work with him and are confident they can get him stronger and trained on the new walker.

I've been helping him brush his teeth after each meal by moving his kit into the bathroom.  I suggested to John that if we can get him a dental cleaning, that might be a good idea, especially with the food pockets on his left side. 

That's it for now.

Love to all,

...Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts?