Wednesday, September 26, 2012

September 26th - Raisin Bran For Breakfast

 Dad was asleep when I arrived.  The OT girl, Wallen, walked into the room with me.  I rubbed Dad's leg like yesterday to wake him up and he winced in pain, no doubt because of the wild adventure he went on with Bill yesterday (but that's his story to tell).  The pain was only superficial and he got up and Wallen helped him to the bathroom to get cleaned up.  The slippers he has in his room did not fit him this morning because his feet have swollen a bit.  They had removed the compression stockings.

While he was in the bathroom I heard him remark that he was "out of breath" and this was "a lot of work".  Wallen was great with him and let him rest periodically.  When he came out we put him in the wheel chair and headed for the dining room.  We took the box of Raisin Bran Bill had brought.  After I opend it I noticed there were single servings of Raisin Bran right there in the breakfast self-serve area.  I added a little banana.  Dad asked me what was in the news today and I gave him a few of the headlines.  Luther helped us hold up the conversation by recapping the newest NCIS episode, talking baseball, and telling us of the impending visit from his son who lives in Yuma.  Dad ate most of his cereal and a little roll before having a nature call that rushed us back to the room.

Dad's roommate is gone.  The man with the broken hip went home.  Dad now has rails on his bed so it makes it easier to get out of as he has something to push against.  I felt a bit awkward when Wallen asked if Dad was still going to assisted living after his therapy here was over.  I replied, "Once his therapy here is over it would great if he could move into assisted living."  I'm just afraid to say anything clearly after the Bakersfield Heart Hospital episode.  I really don't know if we are officially on hospice or treatment or what and try not to open my mouth to big for my foot to fall in it.  I'm sure this will all shake out sooner or later in the way these things shake out.

After Dad got out of the bathroom he was exhausted and asked to go back to bed.  I obliged and stacked some covers on him before saying good-bye and heading for work.  My 90 minutes with him had gone by far too fast.

1 comment:

Your thoughts?