Friday, September 28, 2012

September 28th - Cate's Arrival

We knew this can only be classified as a "roller coaster" ride, so it's no surprise that this morning might not rate up there in the top ten of mornings.  When I arrived Dad was with Wallen the OT who was helping him get ready for breakfast.  She had a "grabber", an arm like device Dad could use to grab the edge of his pants to get them low enough to stick his feet through.  He got his own pants on, although it was quite a chore.  The thing in his esophagus was bothering him again.  He asked for a cup in case he need to "bring something up".

Just as he was ready to head into the bathroom Catie arrived.  Dad looked happy to see her as they said their "hellos".  Dad went into the bathroom with the OT and I gave Cate a tour of Dad's spacious arrangements.  One of my guilty pleasures in going through this whole experience has been figuring things out.  Much of the time we all spend with Dad is one-on-one.  Knowing how to read a mood or a comment, finding out where his hearing aid or suspenders might be, are part of the puzzle I put my mind to as relief from the thoughts of what he must be going through 24/7.  With that in mind, I wanted to give Cate the necessary info, where the hankerchiefs were, how to set the brakes on the wheelchair, but then, and it was hard to keep quiet, let her and Dad interact to find out the rest of the stuff.

As Dad was in the bathroom, I noticed for the first time a picture of he and Mom in book like picture frame on top of the dresser.  Had that been there before?  On the top of the closet was a plastic tray that I presume was used yesterday and something I could use if Dad was having more gastric upsets.  And, we could hear from the sounds in the bathroom that he was.  He was telling Wallen that whatever "it" is, it "won't go down, and it won't come up".  This is a little concerning because a) it was new and b) it was the first thing in the morning and I didn't think he had anything in his stomach.

He came out of the bathroom and we sat for a few minutes before he said, "Let's go try some breakfast".  I brought the plastic tray along as Cate pushed and Dad gave directions.  Dad didn't eat much, only about 1/2 a bowl of raisin bran, orange juice, a little sweet roll and a little coffee.

Cate sat on Dad's right side and Luther was pleased as punch to have a pretty girl next to him for breakfast.  I think I even saw a smile for Mr. K.  Luther is going home today.  Later on the patio Dad would tell me that he thought we really "made Luther's day" and he would miss us.  Luther did have a very sweet farewell, hoping Dad got better and that we would meet again. 

Part of the experience is interacting with the other residents.  On my way to pour coffee, one wheelchair-bound women was headed back to her room and asked me if it was okay to take an hour nap.  I gave her permission with the caveat that I wanted to see her up and around later.  What power I weild.  If only they knew!

Cate got to meet Chuck who has a great opening line, "Can you sing?"  Of course, I was happy to volunteer that she had the voice of a nightengale.  Chuck weaseled a commitmnet out of Cate for his Sunday afternoon concert.  Chuck then entertained us for awhile with conversation and invited Cate back to the room he and his wife share to "write them a country song together".  "I got my guitar and we can sing and do whatever we want.  Heck, everyone can come over and we'll all sing together.  Who knows, if were not careful, we might just make ourselves happy."

 


After breakfast we went on a little tour of the place to get Cate familar.  We went over to the pool and spa area and we showed her the Bistro in case she needed a bite to eat.  We returned to the patio where we just sat and enjoyed the morning.  Dad had one little "throw-up" fit, but not much came up.  When it was time for me to go, Dad wanted to return to his room, which was being cleaned.  He told me he hoped for a little nap and I kissed him good-bye, gave Cate a hug, and headed off to work.

On the administration side, Bill and Tom had a meeting with Pam about Dad's ability to stay.  As long as he is on two antibiotics Medi-care will cover the expenses for the 100 days.  They will be speaking with Dr. Hedari to see if Dad will need to continue the prescription.  Confidence level is medium-to-high that he will.  Dad may not be eligible for PT as some have reported he is showing no improvement and he has refused to go sometimes.

Yesterday afternoon Tom related one of those"priceless" moments with Dad, the Physical Therapist, and both ends of Dad's body that had me smiling and teary at the same time.  Becci Bishop stopped by for a game of 5-Straight on the "Big Board" Billy had made.  It sounded like they all had a good time.

1 comment:

Your thoughts?