Friday, September 21, 2012

Sept. 21st - We Meet Luther and Talk About PT

Dad was up and in the bathroom when I arrived.  I made sure there was a cup of coffee on the table and then went back to his room.  He dressed himself in a clean shirt and put on a sweatshirt.  I didn't ask him why, but took it that even though it was comfortable in his room, he was having a problem staying warm.

We had a new guest at the dinning table, a gentleman by the name of Luther Hankins.  Luther is quite the talker, I only wish he would speak a little louder.  Luther told us about the pain in his left arm, the trip to the Heart Hospital that does NOT take GEM Care, the subsequent trip to Memorial, before ending up at Rosewood for a few days of observation (this was the short version).

Dad was working on his French toast and ground bacon.  He continues to struggle with getting the food down.  Luther was a welcome distraction as he told us "Well, I'll be quiet now and let you guys enjoy breakfast", as he paused a whole 60 seconds before going into the 49ers, his time in Japan during the Korean Conflict, and his trip to Washington, D.C.

We did get in a few conversations on our own about physical therapy:  "They said they couldn't find me and  when they did (putting his fist up like a boxer) they really put it to me."  And, Mary's visit for dinner, "She was giving the cook a few tips on how to make cake.  She makes great cakes and they could learn a lot.  I hope they were paying attention, the cake isn't very good around here." After a couple of spoonfuls of oatmeal, a few bites of the toast and bacon, half a cup of coffee, and all of his juice we headed back to the room.  I asked him if he wanted to take some liquid protein to get some nutrition and he said "Yes".  I knew it was going to be a struggle because earlier he had mentioned that even water was having a hard time getting down.  Realizing it was going to be difficult for him to swallow I backed off and said, "we don't have to"  and he replied, " No let's do it.  At least it will be sitting on top".  I gave him one tablespoon and he chased it with some water.

He couldn't wait to lay down and get covered up in bed.  I told him the nurse would be in any minute to give him his morning pills and he replied, "I'll just pretend I'm asleep".  Julie came in a few seconds later and it took about ten minutes to give him the five or six pills in applesauce.  When she announced "This is the last one", he had the strength to smile and applaud.

There were no new labs in this morning.  His BP remained low at 106/60 and Julie did not give the Atenenol.  Tom spoke with Dad's Physical Therapist and Vanessa about the assisted living apartment yesterday.  He also went to the Dr. Hedari appointment at 3:15 even though Dad was too weak to attend and remained in his room at Rosewood.  I have not spoken with Tom on the outcome of any of those visits.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts?