Monday, October 15, 2012

October 15th - The Pit Crew

Vanny, the aide, was in his room when I arrived and I got to see her dress Dad.  What a machine!  Smoothly and efficiently she moved, asking if I wanted Dad to wear this or that, and talking to Dad the whole time.  It's hard to gauge Dad now.  Sometimes I think he is off with the fairies and then he makes a comment, "What are we doing now?"

"Getting ready for breakfast."

"Oh, okay, that's good."

At breakfast he drank all of the apple juice, half a glass of water, and three or four bites of some pudding Maria had brought by the table.  Chuck arrived late, but was in a great mood as he shouted "GOOD MORNING, EVERYBODY!" at the entrance of the dining room.  Whoever fixed his grabber deal is a hero in Chuck's eyes.  That's about all he could talk about.  He would occasionally shout something at Dad and Dad would reply, although the response was rarely relevant to what was said.  This is nothing unusual at Rosewood.  I was sitting between two people, having two entirely different conversations...entertaining to say the least.

I have a feeling Dad will say yes to almost everything.  I asked if he wanted to go back to the room at 8:15, he said yes, then picked up his water.  When it got time to leave, I asked if he wanted to go to bed and he said yes, then I waited a moment or two and asked what he wanted to do next.  When he said "Go to bed." I got the feeling, at least, he was understanding me.

Most of the morning he was seeing things and I'm not sure what to do about that.  Sometimes we talk about them, sometimes I just follow his eyes and try to imagine what he is seeing.

After putting him in bed, he went almost immediately to the breathing with the sigh on the exhale.  I put the headphones on and said good-bye.  He said, "I love you, too.", then something caught his eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts?