Friday, October 19, 2012

October 19th - You Need a Handbook?

I got nothing.  Thought I could come up with something clever.  It would have to be good, just something.  I could touch it up a little with a sharp metaphor or insightful analogy.  Nuthin'.

He's still going.  Slow.  But going.  He hacks up a little phlegm from time to time and tugs lightly at his oxygen tube.  He's on his back again.  I asked Mary Beth about it and she sent for the CNA's.  Is it important?  Sure it is, right?  It'll make him more comfortable.  Can he still feel comfort?  It's an exertion to raise his hand, what's the cost of turning him on his side?  Exhaustion?  Still, in the long run, he'll be more comfortable.  Wait do we still have a long run?

While waiting, I tried the mouth swab wetters.  He turned away a couple of times.  He did not want to have anything to do with it and I took it as a sign to stop.

Sonia came in and she and Mary Beth put him on his right side.  Good.  He gets to face the window. He laid there quietly for the next hour.

I noticed the Hoffmann paper work near the bed and casually leafed through it.  Here's a good quote,   "Serious illness is the hardest crisis we will ever encounter."  Yep, truer words were never written.  Hmm.  They call it a "handbook".  There's some good info in there.  I suppose we should all know the stuff in the "handbook", but somehow I think I liked life a little better when I didn't.  The owner of Hoffmann Hospice is Tom Hoffmann.  I wonder if that's the same Tom Hoffmann I spoke with back in August about Dad's home health?  There is his picture on the cover of their little magazine.  Can't say if it's the same man or not.  August seems like ages ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts?