Friday, October 26, 2012

Bill & Ben's Eulogy "Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain”


I am Bill Harrer, the 3rd and middle child of Bill and Kaye Harrer and Yes, I am the favorite child.  Well, actually any of us could have raised our hands, because Dad had a way of making us all feel like we were his favorite. I would like to thank you all for coming today to help celebrate the life of our Dad.

I have also been honored to be named after my Dad, a honor that I have cherished all of my life and something that I have given to my first son, who in turn has given to his only son.  I know they will cherish that honor as much as I do.

One of the special things that Dad liked was to make birthday, Christmas, anniversary or other special day cards for his friends and family.  I had already written two eulogies for my Dad when I came across a handwritten note from Dad in a box of cards that Dad was working on.

It simply said: "Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain”.  This note from him seemed like the perfect metaphor for his life, something he did extremely well.  He loved to dance and he could always see the sunshine through the clouds.

As I watched my Dad body fail him over the past five months, I came to learn that this quote may have been as much for him as it was for someone else.


Dad's life was not a simple life, being born in 1923 he grew up during the depression era.  That coupled with the fact that his father's had a tragic accident  when Dad was 5 or 6 meant that he would grow up without a father, but he and his two brothers and two sisters learned how to dance in the rain at a very young age.
Dad never complained about not having a father, or being poor, or going into the service and being stationed in Hawaii only to have his tranquility disrupted after two weeks, on that infamous Dec 7th day. No, he talked about what fun he had with his brothers and sisters, what his Mom went through to ensure the children were raised properly and how nice Hawaii was.  He didn't know adversity because he refused to let it dampen his spirits.  When it rained in Dad's life, he just figured it was time to learn a new dance.

His life was not easy, but you couldn't tell how hard it was because he was too busy having fun living.
When my Mom, his wife, died in 2002, Dad didn't quit living, no, he dug deep and strengthened his friendship with existing friends and went out and developed new friendships.  And for those friends of Dads that played tennis with him 3 times per week and danced with him, I would like to thank you being an important part of his life.

Dad also began to travel more and see the world, something he had wanted to do since joining the Marines in June 1941.  Dad traveled to China, Germany, Austria, Italy and Switzerland.  He went on cruises to the Caribbean and from Boston north to Canada.  I was fortunate enough to travel with Dad on many trips and Dad was about loving the moment, his family and his friends.

Even in his final months as he struggled at the Nursing Home, Dad made some good friends with the other patients and staff.  They all came to know and love him because he was not burdened by caring a chip on his shoulders.  He enjoyed these new people that he met and treated them with love and kindness and in turn was treated with an abundance of love and kindness.

I am sure if Dad was here today, that he would tell you that no matter when you were born, that rain is going to fall during your lifetime and that you would be much better off learning to dance in the rain, then pretending it is not raining or trying to wait out the storm.  That it was some of those times while he was dancing in the rain that he found himself enjoying life the most.  That even though the clouds might come and block the sun, the sun still shines for us and those clouds will eventually pass.  It is what you do while those clouds block the sun that defines you as a person. 

For those that knew my Dad, knows he loved to dance, rain or shine. 

Thanks Dad for always putting us kids first, for coaching me in baseball, for exploring the world with me and for teaching me how to dance. 

Now I would like to invite my Grandson Ben up.  Ben is my daughter Sarah's 2nd child and one of Double G's 10 Great Grandchildren.  Ben last saw his Double G just about three weeks ago when my Dad's hearing had worsened and we had rigged up a set of headphones with an amplifier to allow Dad to hear us.  Ben enjoyed talking with Double G and especially liked talking into the amplifier.  Dad commented after Sarah, Rob and the kids had left that Ben was destined to be newscaster or reporter the way he loved talking into that microphone.  Dad really cherished the time he spent with his Great Grand-kids.

Ben, upon learning of Double G's passing and subsequent services today, asked if he could speak.  He was concerned that Double G might not be able to hear him, but Sarah and Rob have assured him that he will be listening and will be extremely proud to hear him talk.  Sarah and Ben have worked with the other Great-grandchildren to identify what made Double G so special to them.
Ben.....


I want to share with you the Great Grand-kid’s favorite memories of Double G.

Grant and Kyle both loved playing 5 Straight and the cad game Golf with Double G.

Hailey liked that every time she saw him he was smiling.

Drake said that he had funny jokes.

Cooper loved the cards that Double G would make him for his birthday.

Taylor said that she like his hugs.

Sam said that he was very nice and brave.

Claire said that Double G was very, very kind.

We will miss Double G and we love him very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts?