Thursday, October 11, 2012

Ten, Eleven, Twelve

My theory is they get Dad ready first because he is easy, easy-going, and quick to put together. That's why once again he was in the dining room with Chuck long before most of the other residents.  I gave him the old, "How are you doing this bright and cheery morning?", a greeting I truly loathed when I started with him at Valley Machine.  Something about hearing it every...single...day for thirteen years and many times after that at the tennis court now gave it a much more endearing quality.  Of course THE standard response, the one I was hoping for today, "Bright and cheery, thank you!", did not come.  Instead I got the "I'm not so sure".

I told him the date was ten-eleven-twelve. I had to repeat it several times. He started to say, "In a month I'll be...oh never mind..I don't know".  Maria came around for the breakfast order and he said, "I had two sips of orange juice, two sips of apple juice and I'm full!  I don't know".

We sat a little longer and he told me he saw the black cat and Max would come out of the side of his wheelchair. He said he wanted to go back to the room and, because it was being cleaned, we waited in the hall.  Over the course of five minutes he told me of the baby in diapers, the little girl with curly hair dressed in gingham, the black kitty, and Max again.  "Can you see them clearly, Dad?"

"I can see them pretty well.  Look there is the baby!"

"Is it as clearly as if you had your glasses on?"

"No, not that clear"

"Do they ever say anything?"

"Oh, no, no!  Then I'd REALLY be worried!"

"Well, Halloween is this month"

At that, he gave me the scary look, hands out in front shaking, and say, "Wooooooooo"

It's 8:40 now. He is sleeping fitfully. He woke with a start and said something about Cate and a shower, then apologized for not washing his face this morning (it looked fine).  I said good-bye and took his headphones off.  He said, "Don't work too hard", as I gave him a thumbs up and kissed him again.  "It's okay...I'm okay now, you take care."

3 comments:

Your thoughts?