Friday, October 5, 2012

October 5 Senior Olympics

Dad was asleep when I arrived, but woke up once I sat on his bed.  His eyes brightened a bit as he said good morning.  I said good morning and I just got the slight movement of his head indicating "nope, can't hear ya".  I just sat there awhile lightly rubbing his legs and arms awake.  He said, "I had a friend from Arkansas who once told me 'My innards don't work so good', now I know what he means."

I put the headphones on and said, "We don't have to go to breakfast if you do not want to.  You can just sleep in.", knowing that whatever he would be able to get down could not possibly be worth the effort of getting up.

"No, we gotta get up and get ready.  I'm not sure what I can eat anymore.  Can't have milk.  Can't have hot chocolate.  But we'll find something.  I want to get up."  We did, it went smoothly, and we headed into the dining room. 

We chose the cream of wheat because it contains no dairy and looked like it had the greatest likelyhood of going down.  He had a few spoonfuls of that, some coffee, and apple juice over the course of half an hour. 

Chuck entertained us with his invention made from a coat hanger.  He could use it to pick up his hat, put on his slippers, scratch his back, even hook one of the girls walking by.  It covered all the necessities in Chuck's life, we surmised.  We tried to come up with a name for it.  I was pushing for the "Chuck Pluck" 'cause you could pluck most anyting from anywhere.  Chuck favored the "I Got It" because that's what you say when it works.  You should see him on an episode of Shark Tank next season or on Kickstarter soon.

We got back to the room and after a bathroom break we sat in the room for 20 minutes or so until it was time to leave.  Dad thought it would be a good idea to get a little cat nap before everyone showed up.  I made sure he was comfortable and we said good-bye.

On the way out I took the long way to see the festival of the Senior Olympics and took a few photos from the iPad.


The Discus

Ladder Golf
 
 
The Crowd Forming

 
Okay, just who in the hell is climbing this wall?!?  If Dad get's a roommate today, it will likely be because they tried to climb this thing!

1 comment:

Your thoughts?